Monday, February 24, 2020

Marbled Watercolor Flowers | #TeamTinySpringFlowers

Hey Procraftinators!

Today, I am participating in another Team Tiny Video Hop! This month, the theme is Spring Flowers.  If you are not familiar with Team Tiny, we are a group of small YouTube creators who have less than 1,000 subscribers. Meaning we are not monetized and you will not see commercials on our channels. The purpose of the hops that we do every month is to help our small channels grow, so we would greatly appreciate it if you liked, commented, subscribed and shared our videos! It helps the YouTube algorithm know that are videos are worthwhile to suggest to others to watch.



For those that have been following me lately, you know I have been all about the watercoloring lately. So, I pulled out the Concord & 9th Wonderful Florals stamp set and stamped in in Gina K Amalgam Ink, since it is watercolor friendly, on some Fabriano Hot Press Watercolor Paper in 140lb.Once stamped, I taped the panel to my work surface and began by using my paint brush to coat the first flower with clean water. Originally, my plan was to use a wet on wet technique and make two toned flowers. I was going to fill the flower with one color and then drop a second color in the middle and let it bleed out in whatever manner it naturally flowed out, as watercolors are supposed to do. I must not have applied enough water, because when I dropped the second color in, it just stayed there in an ugly blob in the middle of my flower. So, I decided to pull the color out towards the edges and try to sort of gradient it the best I could. You won't see any of this in the video, as my week has been full of technological difficulty and one of those issues was my camera's autofocus freaking out during the watercoloring part of this video. So, I had to go back and redo that portion of it. Anyways, when I tried to pull out the yellow that I dropped in the center of this flower, somehow a freak happy accident occurred and I ended up with this cool marbled looking flower. I had no idea how I achieved it, but I decided that I MUST do it again! I struggled a little bit, but I eventually found, that if you coat the flower with the first color, in my experience it was easier to start with the darker color. Then dab in the lighter color in a few spots, clean your brush off and then swirl around the lighter color with a clean brush, you could achieve the effect. The trick is to make sure that your first coat is wet enough that the watercolor will move, but not so wet that they just combine and make a new color. If that makes sense. It's definitely something you have to experiment with a little bit to get the feel of it. Also, once I was happy with it, I immediately heat set each flower, so that the watercolors wouldn't merge any more.


Once I finished the watercoloring, I noticed that the stamped lines of my image were kinda faint. The watercolors had kinda covered them up a bit. Luckily, I am lazy and hadn't removed my stamp from my Tim Holtz stamping platform yet, so I poped it back in there and just re-stamped the image to crisp up those lines.

I own the coordinating dies for this set, so I thought it would be fun to add some wood grain letters to the front of this panel. I cut the "wonderful" word out of a wood grain patterned paper. I also cut it out of some Neenah 80lb scraps four times and stacked them all together for some dimension. Then, i glued them to the front of my card with Nuvo Deluxe adhesive.

Next, it was time to move on to the sentiments. For the inside, I used on of my favorite sets for sentiments from Altenew, the Quilled Elegance stamp set. The sentiment I chose was "Sending you sunshing" and I also added 2 single flowers from the Concord & 9th Wonderful Florals stamp set to decorate the inside a bit. I chose to stamp all over those in Memento Tuxedo Black ink.

For the outside sentiment, I used the Concord & 9th Wondeful Florals stamp sent and chose the "Have a" and "day" words to finish off my sentiment so it says "Have a wonderful day." I white heat embossed the words on black cardstock with Ranger White Embossing Powder and cut them out with My Favorite Things Slanted Sentiment Strip dies. I chose to pop the strips up using some XFasten Foam tape.

I hope that you enjoyed the card today. Please head over to my youtube channel, linked at the top of the post and be sure to click that hashtag in the title or the description to see the projects from the rest of the Team Tiny. They have some great projects to share with you!

If you enjoyed my video/blog post today, I would greatly appreciate it if you followed me on social media.  
Facebook: fb.me/RiseAndProcraftinate
Instagram: https://instagram.com/riseandprocraftinate
 


Supplies: 
26H Chrome Yellow (orange)
28H Carmine (red)
25H Hansa Yellow
29H Crimson Lake (Fushia)
30H Quinacridone Violet (darker than 29H)
35H Blue Aqua (more green than 34H)
34H Turquoise Blue
33H Raw Umber (brown)
Concord & 9th - Wonderful Florals (Stamp Only) (Bundle)
Altenew Quilled Elegance (inside sentiment) [RETIRED]

***I buy all of my supplies myself and am not affiliated with any company. The links I provide are not affiliate links. I do not make a commission when you buy using these links. They are merely for your convenience or clarification of which supplies I have used. I do not guarantee they are the cheapest prices. I suggest you do your own research and shop around.***
 

No comments:

Post a Comment